Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Organizing as a Manifestation

"Organizer, organizer, baby you're an organizer..." Elijah heard Britney Spear's song "Womanizer" on the radio lately and, since the term "womanizer" is not currently in his vocabulary but mommy has been talking about organizing a lot, he coined his own lyrics. =)

or⋅gan⋅ize:
1. to form as or into a whole consisting of interdependent or coordinated parts, esp. for united action

Lately I've been studying the "theory" behind the practice of organization. I've come to several interesting conclusions.

Organization begins inside. I haven't formally studied the "laws of manifestation", or the act of materializing one's dreams, goals, or wishes. But, one thing that keeps coming back to me lately is that all of those things begin with an internal intention which unites with the will to create a physical reality. My study of Genesis (a whole other story... I have been in the first two chapters for over a year now, there is just SO MUCH to take in!) illustrates this point very well. God's creative acts all began with forming the intention and speaking things into existence. We are created in His image so it would follow that on a spiritual level (spirit being intellect, will & emotion, not some synonym for "religious"), we "create" or "manifest" things in a similar fashion. Often, I believe, my own trouble begins at the point where the intention and the will unite. Unfortuneately, while I do have a "strong personality", I don't think I necessarily have a "strong will". The study of free will posed by Rudolph Steiner in his book "Intuitive Thinking as A Spiritual Path", discusses this at length and from what I can manage to decipher from his often dense philosophy is that true personal freedom and strength of will are evidenced in being able to accomplish what we set out to do. I realize that I become very bogged down and hindered by my own self-made obstructions and hang-ups. I don't act "freely" very often; I am subject to (read: enslaved by) my moods, emotions, and thoughts- instead of employing them in my own service. This is remedied by realizing that "I" am not my moods, emotions, and thoughts; rather, I am their moderator. If I choose to identify with them, instead of objectively observing them, I hand them control and their position is no longer conducive to my well-being. Many "religions" explain this truth; in Christianity I see it being refered to as "reconciling the old man dead"- who was bound by lusts; and the "new man" alive- who is "renewed in knowledge according to the image of Him who created Him". Beautiful.

So how to obtain this state of free will? One of our greatest tools for obtaining this is meditation- not in the sense of "clearing your mind of everything", which *can* be helpful if you're trying to destress or quiet yourself- but rather, meditation in the sense of focused thought. I LOVE Steiner's "Ruckshau Meditation", in which you travel backwards through your days or moments and objectively watch yourself as you behaved, without assigning "bad or good" or imputing guilt or righteousness. In this way, unclouded by emotions, I can see what I am doing and often, how I could have circumvented many problems simply by not being so reactive to my thoughts or feelings. I gain clarity and by avoiding the critical thoughts which often accompany our evaluations of how we have behaved, I develop compasssion, which is always a better motivator for me to encourage myself in the direction I wish to take.

So, organization begins inside. We cannot manifest true or lasting physical organization if our own internal terrain is not organized. Thus, my first goal is "to form as or into a whole consisting of interdependent or coordinated parts, esp. for united action", my intellect, emotions, and will. I can definately pinpoint places in my life where my intellect and emotions are at odds instead of ready for "united action", and vice versa. So galvanizing my will and not allowing thoughts or emotions to derail it will be my principle spiritual task as I seek to "get organized".

In setting intentions- marching orders for my will- I am utilizing Regina Leed's book "One Year to an Organized Life". The boys and I had some fun making "dreamboards"- collages of cut out "Cottage Living" magazine pictures glued to a large sheet of paper- depicting what we want our life to look like. I have to admit, Elijah's was very abstract and I must just be way too shallow to comprehend it. =)

Next, I privately journaled about my parent's relationship with organization. This brought up some very interesting realizations.

Then, I listed my goals in the present tense, and here they are:

1) I feel peaceful and calm about what I have accomplished each day. "It is enough". When I look around at "undone" tasks, I am peacefully able to remind myself that each task will be faced in its own time.

2)I do not spend all day on household management items, but I have fun routines with the children that break up the day.

3) I freely move and act without hang-ups or mental-emotional obstacles. When I see areas of backlog and/or obstruction, I calmly face the challenge and return energy flow and balance.

4) I have a sense of contentment with the degree of comfort I provide my family in their haven-home. I do not experience guilt for their lack of peace.

5) I model a healthy household for my children. Disorder feels strange to them because it is unusual, and they are aware of the specific place their posessions belong.

6) I enjoy each part of the day and develop self-comforting, positive rituals that reaffirm my sense of value in the placement of my priorities, even when my task is mundane.

7) Ultimately, our physical property remains useful and in our service. We are not "owned" by the time it takes to maintain "stuff", but rather, our "stuff" adds value to and enriches our lives and relationships.

Lastly, I divided up how I want to spend my time and tried to assign what percentages of the day seemed appropriate:

Meals- 15 % of day (approx. 2.4 hours)

Household Chores- 25% of day (approx. 4 hours) Note: includes bills, decorating, chores, maintenance, and tending the fire or gardening, respective of season)

Homeschooling/Playing w/ children- 15% of day (approx. 2.4 hours)

Internet, phone calls,reading, and hobbies- 12% of day (approx. 1 hr 55 min)

Planning ahead- 3% of day (approx. 29 min)

Spiritual pursuits- 5% of day (approx. 48 min)

Enjoying Life and Relationships- 15% of day (family time, bedtime routines, intimacy)

Misc. Stuff- 10% of day (approx 1.5 hrs) (dressing, hygiene, and the unexpected)


Well, I've laid the groundwork. I think I'll be getting more hands-on next time!

1 comment:

  1. Becca,

    You get a gold star! I hope to follow your journey...I am so honored you picked my book as your guide.

    Blessings...and kudos!

    Regina Leeds

    ReplyDelete